Get in touch
0800 292 2036

Child Registration Application, Glasgow

Get in touch

Strict legislation means children born in the UK aren’t automatically granted British citizenship status.

It is important to understand how British citizenship works if you have a child born in the UK, if that child is a British citizen by birth, or if you have to register British status on the child’s behalf.

Given the complexity of this area of law, it makes sense to consult with experienced child law solicitors.

The team of immigration lawyers at Jones Whyte can help with the child registration process, supporting you throughout.

Contact Jones Whyte for immigration support today.

Child registration process

If child registration is required, a Child Registration Application (MN1) should be completed. This allows children under 18 to obtain British citizenship if they do not automatically qualify through birth.

Automatic British citizenship is granted to children born on or after 1st January 1983, to parents who have British citizenship or settled status.

Contact Us

Contact us for a confidential discussion about your case.

If this isn’t the case, you would need to make the Child Registration Application. Once the MN1 form is completed, you will need to register the child’s biometric information, if requested by the Home Office.

Children under six will need to have a digital photo taken, although they are exempt from getting fingerprints taken.

Children under 16 will need to be accompanied by a parent or guardian to a biometric enrolment appointment.

You should remember that there may be fees attached to the application and, depending on the laws of the country, previous citizenship may be lost when granted British citizenship.

It can take up to six months for the Home Office to process Child Registration Applications.

Consulting with a child law solicitor throughout the process will help to eliminate any errors which could slow down your application or lead to a refusal.

Contact Jones Whyte today.

Contact Us

Get in contact with our experienced legal professionals today for support with your case.

Get in touch

Other immigration services

At Jones Whyte, our immigration lawyers work closely with other departments so we can, if necessary, consult with child protection lawyers or child access solicitors throughout the citizenship application process.

We also offer a wide range of immigration services, including:

Whatever your status, Jones Whyte will be able to help with any immigration issues. Contact us today.

Meet the experts

At Jones Whyte, we have years of experience and success dealing with immigration law cases.

Meet the whole team

Copyright © Jones Whyte 2024 | SC738324 | All Rights Reserved.

We are authorised and regulated by the Law Society of Scotland ( and Solicitors Regulation Authority (
A list of members of our firm is available upon request from our Registered Office at The Connect Building, 3rd Floor, 59 Bath Street, Glasgow, G2 2DH

Responsive Website Design, Development & Hosting by mtc.