Get in touch
0800 292 2036

Student Route Visa, Scotland

Get in touch

The Student Route Visa is the replacement for the Tier 4 (General) Student Visa.

This change was made in October 2020, to encourage more prospective international students to come to the UK to study. 

It was made available to all EU/EEA students looking to study in the UK from 1 January 2021.

If your course is longer than six months, the Student Route Visa allows you to arrive in the UK one month before the course begins. If it lasts less than six months, you can arrive in the UK one week before the course begins.

A major requirement of the Student Route Visa is that students intend to return to their country of origin once the course is completed.

If you are considering studying in the UK, contact experienced immigration lawyers Jones Whyte for visa advice and assistance.

Contact Us

Contact us for a confidential discussion about your case.


To be eligible for the Student Route Visa, there are several requirements you must meet. Our immigration lawyers will be able to go through these with you, to ensure you meet all the criteria. They are:

  • You must be 16 or over.
  • You must have been accepted onto a course at an eligible UK institution.
  • You must have funds to support yourself and pay tuition fees.
  • You must be able to understand an appropriate level of English.

If you are aged 16 or 17, you must also have parental consent.

You can apply for a visa six months before the start of the course. On average, it takes three weeks for the Home Office to process an application and deliver a decision.

If any paperwork is missed, this can delay the application. This is why it is important to seek the advice of a specialist immigration lawyer. We can help ensure that any delays are avoided.

Contact Jones Whyte today.


The Home Office will require several documents as part of your application for a student visa. These are:

  • A current passport or another verifiable form of documentation.
  • A Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) is a digital record containing your personal details from your course provider. CAS records will include a unique reference number that must also be entered on the visa application.
  • Proof that you have enough money to support yourself and pay for your course, although this requirement is variable depending on circumstance.
  • A valid Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate is needed for the specific course and nationality.
  • Proof regarding the relationship with your parent or guardian if aged 18 or under.
  • A tuberculosis test result (if traveling from a country where the UK requires a TB testing certificate).
  • Written consent from a financial sponsor if you have received sponsorship for their course fees and living costs over the last 12 months.
  • Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) (if coming to the UK for longer than 6 months).

Contact Us

Get in contact with our experienced legal professionals today for support with your case.

Get in touch

Other immigration services

As experienced immigration solicitors, Jones Whyte have dealt with a wide range of cases. These include:

Whatever your immigration status, contact Jones Whyte solicitors today.

Meet the experts

At Jones Whyte, we have years of experience and success dealing with immigration law cases.

Meet the whole team

Copyright © Jones Whyte 2024 | SC738324 | All Rights Reserved.

We are authorised and regulated by the Law Society of Scotland ( and Solicitors Regulation Authority (
A list of members of our firm is available upon request from our Registered Office at The Connect Building, 3rd Floor, 59 Bath Street, Glasgow, G2 2DH

Responsive Website Design, Development & Hosting by mtc.