Get in touch
0800 292 2042

Professional Negligence Claims Against Architects, Scotland

Get in touch

You might need to pay for an architect’s services if you are getting a new house built, are extending your home or are making other improvements to your property. 

The architect will usually draw up the designs and oversee the construction phase. 

You are entitled to expect the architect to meet the professional standards expected of them when working on your project. 

However, as with all professional services, mistakes do happen. 

Where the error comes down to the architect’s negligent actions, you could have a claim against the architect for compensation for the losses you have incurred as a result. 

It is important that members of the architectural profession are held to account and that professional standards are upheld.

If you need to find out how to sue an architect, contact the professional negligence specialists at Jones Whyte.

Contact Us

Contact us for a confidential discussion about your case.

Contact Us

Get in contact with our experienced legal professionals today for support with your case.

Get in touch

Architects’ duty of care

Architects are legally obliged to carry out their professional duties with reasonable care and skill. 

The duty of care the architect owes to their clients is usually expressed in a contractual agreement. Where no contract was agreed upon, the architect will still usually have a duty of care, provided the client relied on the services and that there is a sufficiently close relationship between the architect and the client.

There are architect negligence examples where they have breached this duty of care. For example, there are defects with the design, the architect did not oversee the progress of the project properly or they caused significant delays to the completion of your project. 

If you are unsure whether your architect’s conduct is the reason for your loss, contact our highly knowledgeable and approachable solicitors to discuss your circumstances.

Working with professional negligence solicitors

You will be entitled to compensation if the architect owed you a duty of care, they breached that duty of care and as a result, you suffered a loss. 

To establish whether a duty of care has been breached, it is important to look at the scope of the duty owed to you, which will usually be set out in the contractual agreement. 

If no contract exists, the architect’s conduct will be compared to that of a reasonably competent person in the profession.

A direct link will need to be established between the breach and your loss. It is our job to help you show that you would have been in a better position had the architect’s breach of duty not occurred.

We will also work out the full extent of your loss, including any costs incurred to correct or mitigate the error.

We understand that raising a claim can be a daunting task, especially against a professional like an architect. Sue with Jones Whyte and we will support you throughout the claims process and aim to resolve things in your favour.

Other disputes

Professional negligence comes under the disputes team at Jones Whyte.

We have experience with many types of disputes, including:

We can also help if you are defending a court action.

If you have suffered because of professional negligence, contact Jones Whyte. Our expert lawyers will be able to support you throughout the process, as we seek a beneficial resolution.

Meet the experts

At Jones Whyte we have a dedicated team with vast experience in providing civil legal advice.

Meet the whole team

Copyright © Jones Whyte 2024 | SC738324 | All Rights Reserved.

We are authorised and regulated by the Law Society of Scotland ( and Solicitors Regulation Authority (
A list of members of our firm is available upon request from our Registered Office at The Connect Building, 3rd Floor, 59 Bath Street, Glasgow, G2 2DH

Responsive Website Design, Development & Hosting by mtc.